My cat's anaemia

For those light hearted moments, in here please!

Moderators: Missy, hampster, martyn, coryad, BeeNumber12, kimks mom, Vix, AndreaM, japatchett

My cat's anaemia

Postby paulaph » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 pm

paulaph

Postby BeeNumber12 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm

BeeNumber12

Postby paulaph » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 am

paulaph

Postby BeeNumber12 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:32 pm

BeeNumber12

Postby paulaph » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:45 pm

paulaph

Postby Maudy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Maudy

Re: My cat's anaemia

Postby BeeNumber12 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:57 am

Absolutely, Andrea. It's crazy.
Not only crazy, but crazy-making.
I can't imagine if Martyn had never put up this forum and information.
(Well, I can imagine. There was nothing all the years in the 1990's when I searched. What I did find was in medical terms, not lay terms so I had no clue that I actually had very poor proprioception; Lhermitte's sign, etc.)

Why are Vets so informed and allopaths not informed?

Dorothy

On another point about Vets: our vets always telephone us in a day or so to check up on our pets after they've sent us home with treatment. Great bedside manner, Vets have.
Regards,
Dorothy
Please independently check any information or advice, by reading from or questioning reputable sources, before acting on it.
BeeNumber12

Postby Maudy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 am

The other big difference between vets and GPs that bug me no end is the '3 symptoms" syndrome.

I've faced this one. You go to the docs and try and tell them what's wrong and they will only look at 3 things. So my eyes never got looked at!
I've never yet had a vet ask me what's wrong with an animal and then stopped me after the 3rd symptom. Surely they can't find out what is wrong if they don't have the whole picture????
Crazy stuff.
Maudy

Postby JDee » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm

One of mum's previous GPs would only discuss one problem per appointment. Make another one to discuss the next issue!!! That is a very caring attitude - NOT!!

Jac
Both of my parents were diagnosed with PA. Mum is on 2 monthly injections and relatively OK. Dad progressed to dementia and sadly died 14/2/13. Despite my own levels being 'normal' I have some symptoms. Jac.
JDee

Postby Maudy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 pm

It's not even that it's not caring, Jac - it's not professional, it's not effective, it's not productive. I still sit back and think of the last experience I had and despite numerous visits hardly got to mention my eyes apart from saying I'd seen an optician and she couldn't find a problem. There was, of course, the little issue that my eyesight had deteriorated dramatically, but I needed someone to look at why I go blind in one of them. Or why they start running (picture eyes running off) in the sunshine. Or focus from light to dark. Or, if I'm not looking at my hands when they do something, they do what they want.

It's like the medical profession really have reverted to some bygone era where they are treating all their patients like unimportant serfs who have the brains of a lizard. Mind you, it would still be the bygone era where the experts proved the earth was flat...

Andrea, just read your latest post. That's exactly what they do. They ask you to pick the most important symptoms first. My symptoms are definitely cyclical (sp?) Sometimes my back, sometimes my legs, sometimes my vision, sometimes trembling, sometimes confusion....
Like you say, what happens if I pick the wrong one. What happens if I'm not getting that many palpitations that day....
Maudy

Postby BeeNumber12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:23 pm

ooo, nasty stuff. I am familiar with EPI in dogs. Here's a website from Texas A & M University that I have poured over more than once. It has recently been recommended by the American Veterinarian Medical Association as _the_ online resource for EPI. B12 shots are part of their recommended treatment.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/
The site allows no copying but have a look here at what it says about B12. :)
http://www.epi4dogs.com/b12.htm

Maybe we should just all line up at our Vet's door!

Dorothy
(Hope the kitty is getting its b12...)
Regards,
Dorothy
Please independently check any information or advice, by reading from or questioning reputable sources, before acting on it.
BeeNumber12

Postby BeeNumber12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:46 pm

The education gap or whatever it is, is beyond pathetic.
Humans trying to get B12 :romance-ballandchain:
Animals, B12 and veterinarians :tools-hammerdrill:

[/color]
Regards,
Dorothy
BeeNumber12

Postby kimks mom » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:40 am

Pancreatic Insufficiency, a cause of Vit. B12 Malabsorption or pernicious anaemia in humans

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE ... 3252841202

I am on the same medicine, Tapazole, as my cat was who passed three years ago. It didn't take long for my Vet to diagnose her with hyperthyroidism. It took my doctor much longer to diagnose me. BP was monitored and there is even the same kind of surgery available for cats (dogs are usually hypothyroid) as there is for humans if the meds fail to control the hyperthyroidism.

~Pat
I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Postby martyn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 am

I know that one of the Trustees of the society gets his B12 from his Vet.....
martyn

Postby kimks mom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 pm

I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Next

Return to The Social Corner