horsemeat

For those light hearted moments, in here please!

Moderators: Missy, hampster, martyn, coryad, BeeNumber12, kimks mom, Vix, AndreaM, japatchett

horsemeat

Postby lozza » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi,

I thought i would ask about people's views regarding the Horsemeat in our beef products? ok you might ask, why is a non meat eater asking this ..... well i certainly ate meat during my childhood and who know what was in the school dinners !

view most welcome.

best wishes

Lozza :sunny:
lozza

Re: horsemeat

Postby auberginegirl » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 pm

auberginegirl

Postby lozza » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 pm

I wonder whether a person can sue a manufacturer as you brought a product which doesn't have what it says!!

i also think it is a case of people make money and how supermarkets are trying to produce cheap food and how the general public just don't have money for higher cost products ( due to recession )

regards

Lozza :sunny:
lozza

Postby gladwen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 pm

I would guess selling mis-labelled products, would come under the trade discriptions act. I am not a meat eater myself, but I am enraged for those that are. This certainly must have been common knowledge in the trade , likewise the non labelling of hal-hal meat carcases.
It infuriates me that the people in charge of of the production, and buying and selling of such products , treat us the public with such contempt. This is so insensitive to say the least.
I'm guessing a lot of us will vote with our feet, and only buy meat that we can identify as beef , lamb, or pork from reputable sources. It is time us the great British public showed that we are not going to be messed with. Rant over. Elizabeth
gladwen

Postby ollie7horse » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi
I am not a meat eater, but I do eat fish. The worry is not what type of meat or fish but how it is farmed.
The amount of antibiotics used these days is way too much because the animals live in such close proximity and also what they are fed - growth hormones etc. I think that meat should be a luxury, not something that is eaten by one person 3 times a day as is the case now, ie bacon roll for brekkie, chicken sandwich for lunch and shepherds pie for dinner. The animal gives its life and so deserves respect and consideration whilst alive. I would like to see a much higher quality meat which is obviously more expensive and eaten less frequently. Same for fish.

As for the labelling, as with all processed food, you never know what you are eating. :shock:

Linda
ollie7horse

Postby gladwen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 am

Couldn't agree with you more Linda. What we are experiencing now, is the need for fast production of farm animals, on a limited land mass, to feed a huge population, that demands cheap food, that the supermarkets are only too willing to supply, boosting their vast profits, while they screw the farmers in to the ground. Even farmed fish are fed antibiotics to keep them "healthy", whilst swimming in their own excreta.

We can but hope ,that with all this adverse publicity, food producers will clean up their act. And now the public are aware they will be more particular about the food they buy .

I could continue at length, but I'm afraid some of my opinions are not politically correct, Elizabeth
gladwen

Postby Galixie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:18 pm

I find it slightly interesting that the mislabeling of beef seems to attract more attention than the mislabeling of fish.

I suppose if the mislabeled fish were dolphin, it might attract similar attention.
Galixie

Postby bronte » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 pm

Hi everyone,

My understanding of the horsemeat issue is that abbatoirs need to be licensed to butcher horses in the same way that they are for other animals. If they are not licensed to process horsemeat they are not following regulations on where it came from etc and this can be a problem if the horse was treated with 'bute' in it's lifetime.

I don't accept that we know the full extent of how harmful this might be to us :shifty:

Interestingly one of the leading supermarkets included me in a blanket email re 'transparency' in it's food production regarding the horsemeat scandal. This prompted me to ask how well meat is labelled because I wouldn't buy Halal meat by choice. It would appear that you have to look really hard for that label too. :hand: :roll: Aside from issues with the way the poor animal is killed I am wondering if meat that has been bled very slowly will contain as many nutrients as meat that came from an animal that was killed quickly. Will it for instance have less B12? It is , of course , cheaper for the supermarkets if they only sell one type of meat.......... :roll:

Happy debating :geek:
bronte

Postby ollie7horse » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi

It doesn't matter if its fish or meat, mis-labelling is wrong. People need to know what they are eating, the best way to do that is to eat as many whole foods as possible and try to stay away from anything processed.

Linda :)
ollie7horse

Postby ollie7horse » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am

Ha Ha, good one Andrea you must be getting enough b12 or Im getting too little, completely missed that one!
:lol:

Linda
ollie7horse

Postby bronte » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Hahahaaha,

Cheered me up Andrea.

:lol:
bronte

Postby fernspray » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Well I'm a veggie so don't eat animals, with the exception of eggs. Horses are indeed beautiful animals but then to me so are cows, pigs and sheep so I can't draw a distinction there. I think it is criminal that lambs can be as young as 12 weeks old when they go for slaughter! When you see those sweet little things gamboling in the fields with their Mums it is almost heartbreaking to think what is in store for them. Well for any animal really, but babies more so.
On a lighter note, had to laugh at a friend who had a sea food dish but hoped there wasn't sea horse in it.
Fern
fernspray

Return to The Social Corner