Scuba Diving with PA???????

A forum for your polls only

Moderators: Missy, hampster, martyn, coryad, BeeNumber12, kimks mom, Vix, AndreaM, japatchett

17%
33%
50%
No votes

Total votes : 6

Scuba Diving with PA???????

Postby Shanlee33 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 pm

Shanlee33

Postby kimks mom » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:00 am

I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Thanks Miss Pat!

Postby Shanlee33 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Shanlee33

Postby kimks mom » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 pm

I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Postby JaneS » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm

JaneS

Postby barb62 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:43 pm

barb62

Postby pvanderaa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks, Paul - Riding the B12D roller coaster while challenged by dysgraphia (I correctly spell the wrong word when my B12 is low).
pvanderaa

Re: Scuba Diving with PA???????

Postby JudithML » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm

I was diagnosed in 1995 with PA aged 43. I passed my PADI Open Water qualification in Israel in 1997 and Advanced Open Water in 1998.

I confess that living in Britain, I only dive in warm waters on holiday. I see no reason why an averagely fit PA person who is receiving appropriate treatment should not dive, though I think they should take gentle dives in good conditions initially, accompanied by well-qualified and experienced leaders.

I think my air consumption may be higher than it would otherwise be, but that is the only relevant factor. In a group of divers there are usually others who get to 30 bar before me!
JudithML

Postby Shanlee33 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:22 am

Hi Judith,

Thank you so much for your response! I was wondering if you could answer a couple other questions, I am working with a special trainer trying to overcome the issues I have when diving (rapid onset of the bends - vomiting, passing out, ill for days etc)

1.) Do you dive with a larger tank to compensate for going through more air?
2.) How long can you dive for at a time?
3.) What depths do you stick too
3.) Have you suffered from "early bends"
4.) Your height and weight (if you don't mind)
5.)your blood type

Thank you - I hope this isn't too personal - :)

Best Wishes!! -Shan :D
Shanlee33

Postby JudithML » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi Shan,

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers.

My height is 5ft 10 inches, and my weight is 150 pounds. I only use maybe 10% more air than I used to, so haven't used a larger tank. I have worked on my swimming style, relaxation and breathing so I minimise my air consumption. My blood group is O Rh+. My longest dive was 45 minutes, a shallow night dive at about 20 feet depth in the Mediterranean in Greece. I have never suffered from the bends. I always stay well within the PADI guidelines, am careful about my buoyancy so I don't bob up and down, and always stop on the way up for the recommended time.

I think the extra help that you are getting will help you.

Best wishes,
Judith
JudithML

Postby lhuggins » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with PA in August 2011 (58 year old male). I live in the US at an elevation of 4,000 feet above sea level. I tried to find out any information on scuba diving and PA but found out very little so I thought I would share my experience. I have been diving for over 10 years (usually one trip a year to the Caribbean). I had a diving trip to Bonaire planed the end of February 2012 and was concerned about how PA would effect my diving. I am self injecting (IM) about every other week and STARTING to get some of my strength back. I am still quite weak and nowhere near where I was before starting to feel the effects of PA. I contacted DAN (divers alert network) to see if they could provide any information and they told me if my blood work was normal I should not have any problems. I was concerned enough I asked my diving buddies to please keep an eye on me while diving. I dive with nitrox (this trip ean of 32) which is higher concentration of oxygen. I am sure we all understand that my experience could be completely different than others. I did about 12 dives to a max. depth of 90 feet and had no problems at all, my air consumption was about the same as it has been in the past. While in Bonaire I felt better than I have felt in a very long time. I do not know if it was the nitrox, the elevation (sea level) or something else but I was even able to climb the highest peak in Bonaire (almost 800 feet) without any problems. I hope my experience can help someone who is asking the same question about scuba and PA.
lhuggins

Return to Polls